Today, I came across a beautiful website and was taken by the wisdom of Native American Indian Traditional Code of Ethics*. I would like to share it with all of you. Below is my shortened adaptation of what I read, as those passages so resonated with me:
– Each morning upon rising, and each evening before sleeping, give thanks for the life within you and for all life; consider your thoughts and actions of the past day and seek for the courage and strength to be a better person.
– Show respect – showing respect is a basic law of life. Treat every person from the tiniest child to the oldest elder with respect at all times.
– Treat the earth and all of her aspects as your Mother. Do no pollute our Mother, rise up with wisdom to defend her.
– Be truthful at all times and under all conditions.
– The hurt of one is the hurt of all, the honour of one is the honour of all.
– All the races in the world are like the different coloured flowers of one meadow. All are children of the Creator.
– Serve others. Happiness comes to those who dedicate their lives to the service of others.
– Observe moderation and balance in all things.
– Know those things that lead to your well-being, and those things that lead to your ruin.
– Listen to and follow the guidance given to your heart. Expect guidance to come in many forms; in prayer, in dreams, in times of quiet solitude, and in the words and deeds of wise elders and friends.
One of the above pearls of wisdom stated: “Treat the earth and all of her aspects as your Mother”.
Our Mother Earth is suffering from mismanagement by humans. Through respecting ourselves and living in balance and harmony, we come to respect all sentient and inanimate beings:
The Earth will not become extinct,
the Earth will not be shaken that badly.
The Earth will be creative and will recover and madly
will fall in love with the people again.
These people will not be of today’s nature.
These people will be a noble breed.
These people will understand nature.
These people will be descendants of today’s humanity.
These people will be of a fine mould,
a mould of godly thoughts and deeds.
These people are here already today—
some of them are ready, some are awakening.
The above is an excerpt from a poem in Evolution, the fourth book of my five books Purposeful Mind series. Visionary verses in Evolution offer you insights into possible future of our bodies, our planet, and more.
For more information about my books visit my website at http://www.booksbyhelena.ca
*For a full version of Native American Indian Traditional Code of Ethics, please visit